Crisis

Today I had a doctor's appointment. When I walked in, the standard ritual began. Fill this out, give me your insurance card, sign here, etc.

I started thinking about this process - in 2008, these doctor's offices are still doing the same things they did when I had doctor's visits in the 90's and even the 80's:

  • new patients have to fill out forms of the same standard name/address/etc information - more paper
  • they use a big photocopier to scan my little insurance card - more paper
  • i assume someone later types all this into an antiquated medical document system

Is this a "crisis" of information management? The quantity and rate of data that we want to store and manage in the world is growing every day - why isn't everyone embracing new content management systems that maximize the use of that data??

This I must ponder....

Posted in:
Tags:

ShareThis